Concrete sealing can help protect various elements of your home while making them look better.
Seal Smart is here to help! Our team of professional installers can seal concrete structures on your property in an afternoon, depending on the size of the project.
Discover our answers to frequently asked questions about concrete sealing.
What is concrete sealer?
Professional installers apply concrete sealants to the surface of concrete structures to protect them from damage.
How do concrete sealants work?
These products work in two main ways:
- Topical sealants that may make the surface slick.
- Penetrating concrete sealants, like those used by Seal Smart, that block surface moisture.
Is sealing concrete necessary?
Yes, if you want to protect your concrete for longer periods of time after it’s cured.
What is the purpose of sealing concrete?
Sealing your property’s concrete provides several benefits, such as:
- Protects against surface damage. This makes the appearance and viability of your concrete structure last longer.
- Resists stains. The reason this happens is because concrete sealants often leave a slick surface behind on the substrate. This allows stains to come right off rather than adhering to the concrete’s rough surfaces. Concrete sealants may resist stains from oil, acid, grease, and chemicals.
- Easier dirt removal and washing. Because of the way the sealant coats and penetrates the concrete, it’s easier to wash away dirt with an ordinary hose and water rather than pressure washing.
- Helps prevent corrosion. Corroded concrete is unsightly, and it could cause problems with penetrating moisture over time, particularly with extreme temperatures. Concrete sealant can help prevent corrosion by keeping chemicals away from the concrete itself through an invisible layer of sealant.
- Helps prevent cracking. Because moisture can cause cracking in concrete when it freezes, expands, and melts, keeping moisture out of your concrete structures may prevent concrete from cracking.
- Keeps mold away. Concrete sealant prevents moisture from taking hold within the concrete. As such, standing water might not stay on the concrete for long periods to encourage the growth of mold.
- Simpler ice removal. Removing ice from your driveway is easier when it’s sealed properly.
- Increases concrete strength. By penetrating the surface, concrete sealants strengthen the substrate because it keeps moisture away from natural pores in the materials.
Can old concrete be sealed?
Yes, to prevent further damage. Our professional installers will clean the concrete first before applying concrete sealant.
How do we apply concrete sealant?
Our concrete sealing process is three-fold:
- We cover plants, windows, and doors close to the concrete to make sure they are protected. Our professional-grade sealants are safe, but we cover these items just in case and to safeguard your property.
- We clean the existing concrete to remove as much dirt, stains, grease, and oil as possible. Once we seal the concrete, the surface will reflect what’s underneath the sealant. We want it to look as clean as we can make it!
- We apply a professional-grade concrete sealant using a hose and nozzle, similar to a pressure washer. The concrete will have a wet sheen on it until it dries. We prefer a wet surface to apply the sealant product for best results.
How long does concrete sealer last?
Reactive, penetrating sealers last the longest, up to 20 years or more in some cases. They typically wear away if the substrate concrete wears away due to chipping or other forms of physical destruction. Your results will vary depending on the conditions at your property.
What structures in my home or property can receive concrete sealant?
Professional-grade concrete sealants work on several types of structures at your home or property, including but not limited to:
- Patios, like in-ground and above-ground patio structures attached to your home or separate from your dwelling or business building.
- Walkways and walking paths, such as the sidewalk leading up to your front door and any concrete paths you have winding through your garden, landscaping, or natural area of your property.
- Driveways made of concrete, which is particularly important given the high amount of traffic your driveway may receive on a daily basis.
- Swimming pools, such as the bottom and sides of the pool as well as the surrounding walkways leading up to your pool.
- Foundations for homes and buildings, which is particularly helpful to try to prevent moisture intrusions that could cause cracks.
- Basement slabs for new construction and renovations.
- Parking lots of any size to make the appearance of them last longer while preventing cracks.
- Walkways on your property, such as landscaped paths through gardens, parks, and around your property.
- Sidewalks going to your front door, back door, and around the sides of your property.
- Bare concrete flooring, similar to those found in big-box retail stores.
How soon should I get concrete sealing?
If you have new construction, as soon after it cures, if possible. Generally, we recommend waiting at least one month before applying concrete sealant. That way, the concrete has time to fully harden.
How much does it cost to seal concrete?
Your costs will vary based on the size and complexity of the project. Some professional installers charge anywhere from $1.50 to $2.50 per square foot for a driveway.
Do I need to prepare my structure for concrete sealing?
The only thing you need to do is move all of the furniture away from the items that need concrete sealing. Our team does the rest.
What is the best sealer for concrete?
Seal Smart’s concrete sealer is professional-grade. Think of those shiny concrete floors in large retail stores. That’s what we can bring to the table for your building’s structures.
What does concrete sealant look like?
Professional-grade concrete sealants are invisible, and they leave behind a high-gloss wet look that isn’t just for show. The high gloss helps prevent dirt, grease, and stains from taking hold.
Can concrete sealants repel de-icing salts?
Yes, professional concrete sealing products can repel de-icing salts in the winter. This helps keep your property looking well during winter and makes everything look great.
Why choose Seal Smart for concrete sealing?
Seal Smart can complete professional concrete sealing in a day’s work, depending on the size of the project. Our team can seal driveways, walkways, patios, foundations, and bare floors.
Do you have more questions? Reach out or give us a call at 1-877-288-6716, and we will be happy to answer any questions.
While you’re here, read some Seal Smart reviews from our satisfied customers.